Retiring in Thailand

Thinking of retiring in Thailand? The Kingdom’s awesome landscape and scenic beaches is the ultimate paradise that one could dream of to live in forever. Foreigners often find themselves enchanted and wanting to spend their retirement years in this tropical paradise. And for those who are planning to do the same, one will need to apply for a Retirement Visa in Thailand to make this possible.

Retiring in Thailand

Obtaining a Retirement Visa in Thailand:

–          Acquire a Non-Immigrant Visa O

Requirements in obtaining this type of visa are:

Passport with at least one year left prior to expiration; should be a citizen or permanent resident of the country of application; should have proof of funds;

–          Acquire a One-year Retirement Visa

Requirements in obtaining this visa are:

Applicant should be 50 years old or above; Signed copies of the applicant’s Passport; Non-Immigrant visa; Departure card (TM.6); Proof of meeting the financial requirements; Original Thai bank book; Letter from Thai bank; Recently taken photos (4x5cm);

–          Acquiring a Re-Entry Permit

Retiring in ThailandMost foreigners misunderstand the difference between an Extension of Stay and a Re-Entry Permit. One must understand that both are two different things and both are needed during your stay in Thailand. The extension of stay is referring to the controlling date in which everything is dependent on this, and everything is invalidated once your extension of stay expires. The validity on your Re-entry permit goes together with the validity of your extension of Stay, and leaving Thailand without one would automatically invalidate your extension of stay.

–          Reporting your stay in Thailand every 90 days and Visa expiration

Everyone with more than 90 days extension of stay in Thailand is required to report to the Immigration Police every 90 days. Those holding multiple entry visas can simply just depart from Thailand and come back to renew their extension of stay after each 90 day entry. For those who cannot obtain their extension of stay inside Thailand, the new non-immigrant visa should be applied for at a Thai Embassy or Consulate overseas. Always contact an immigration lawyer in Thailand when you consider retiring in Thailand.

By Robert De Klerk

If you wish to retire in Thailand then see what you will need to know. Are you going to retire with your foreign wife in Thailand and want to know the process? Do you have a Thai wife and what are the other options? See what you need to know if you are from Australia New Zealand, Europe or America.